In this article, I will take you through 100 Best Networking Interview Questions. For those who are preparing to build their career in Networking domain, it is very important that they go through below networking interview questions which frequently gets asked in any Networking interviews. We will cover Networking Interview Questions in two parts. This is Part-1 of Networking Interview Questions. I will bring Part-2 of Networking Interview Questions in next article.
Networking Interview Questions
1. Which Modulation Technology does 802.11a utilized ?
Ans. Orthogonal Frequency Distribution Multiplexing(OFDM)
2. Under which layer does Internetwork Packet Exchange(IPX) comes ?
Ans. Layer 3
3. Which are the common protocols used in Session Layer ?
4. What is the size of MAC Address ?
Ans. 48 bits
5. In which layer of OSI model MAC address lies ?
Ans. Layer 2
6. In which layer of OSI Model repeater lies ?
Ans. Layer 1
7. What is the command to display arp cache entry for specific ip address in windows ?
Ans. arp -a <IP_Address>
8. What is the command to display IP Address of a host machine in Windows ?
9. What is the command to display IP Address of a host machine in Linux ?
Ans. ifconfig or ip addr sh
10. What is the command to display hostname of a Linux node ?
11. What is the command to display a Cached Name table of a Computer in Windows ?
Ans. nbtstat -a <computer_name>
12. What is the command to display network connections in a Linux/Windows host ?
13. Where does Power over Ethernet(PoE) switch will be useful ?
Ans. It will be useful in the scenario where you do not have any power outlet at the point you placed your access points.
14. What is Virtual LANs ?
Ans. It is basically virtually dividing the network into multiple segments at the switch level and calling each segment as Virtual LAN.
15. What is Network Address Translation(NAT) ?
Ans. It is a mechanism through which one range of IP address is been translated to another range of IP Address to hide the real IP.
16. What is DHCP ?
Ans. DHCP is known as Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol.It is used to provide an IP address dynamically whenever client request it.
17. What is Virtual Private Network(VPN) ?
Ans. It is used to setup secure tunnel between two locations either over the public network or over a dedicated leased line.
18. Which Layer PDU is known as Packets ?
Ans. Layer 3
19. Which protocol EIGRP Uses for the Delivery and reception of EIGRP Packets.
Ans. Reliable Transport Protocol
20. What is main difference between TCP and UDP Protocol ?
Ans. TCP provides the package delivery acknowledgement but UDP does not.
21. Which protocol was replaces by OSPF(Open Shortest Path First) ?
Ans. RIP(Routing Internet Protocol)
22. What is the administrative distance of OSPF ?
23. What is the administrative distance of RIP ?
24. What is the administrative distance of EIGRP ?
25. What is packet collision ?
Ans. It is an event which occurs when two or different networks share a common medium to transfer the data and started sending packets simultaneously.
26. Which algorithm used to avoid Packet Collision ?
Ans. CSMA/CD(Carrier Sense Multiple Access with Collision Detection) Algorithm
27. What are the few different protocols in Application Layer ?
28. What are the 3 different functions performed by Presentation Layer ?
Ans. Translation,Compression and Encryption.
29. What are the few protocols used in Presentation Layer ?
30. What are the different functions performed by Session Layer ?
Ans. Session Management,Authorization and Authentication.
31. What is TTL(Time to Live) ?
Ans. It is the maximum number of hops packet will take in a network before being dropped out.
32. Which protocol allows to join and leave multicast groups ?
Ans. Internet Group Management Protocol(IGMP)
33. What protocol helps in resolving IP address to MAC Address ?
Ans. Address resolution protocol(ARP)
34. What are the protocols usually used in Transport Layer of OSI Model ?
Ans. TCP and UDP
35. What is the default port for SSH Connection ?
Ans. Port 22
36. What is Routing Information Base(RIB) ?
Ans. Link-state algorithms store routes locally in a separate database before updating the main routing table. This database is called a routing information base.
37. What is VLAN Trunking Protocol(VTP) ?
Ans. It is a protocol used for exchanging VLAN information within the network.This protocol is used by Cisco Switches.
38. Which is the default port for FTP Connections ?
Ans. Port 21
39. Which is the default port for telnet protocol ?
Ans. Port 23
40. What are the few different examples of Layer 3 Protocol ?
41. What is Datagram ?
Ans.UDP Packets are usually called Datagram.
42. Does UDP supports virtual circuits ?
43. How transport protocol checks that data are not corrupted during transfer ?
Ans. By using checksum value.
44. What is Multicasting ?
Ans. It is a concept in which data is destined for multiple destinations at the same time.
45. What is the use of ATM(Asynchronous Transfer Mode) Networks ?
Ans. It is used for carrying audio and video data in a network.
46. Which multiplexing technique does ATM Network uses ?
Ans. Asynchronous Time-Division Multiplexing
47. What is packet in a network ?
Ans.It usually denotes the payload transferred over a network.
48. In which Layer Packet Segmentation Occurs ?
Ans. Layer 4
49.What is Frame ?
Ans. Frame is the terminology used for Protocol Data Unit in Layer 2 of OSI Model.
50.Which Layer PDU called segments ?
Ans. Layer 4
Also Read: Networking: All in One for Dummies